In this episode of Retail Corner, listen to Maria McDonald, Director of Sustainability at United By Blue, who focuses on the circular economy, sustainable retail, responsible consumption, and ethical shopping. You will listen to our host talking with Maria on the following points:
- Could you tell me about your professional journey to where you are today?
- What motivated or inspired you to pursue involvement in sustainability?
- What are some of the initiatives that United by Blue is taking in order to reduce its environmental impact
- What are some of the responsibilities that you have in your current position as sustainability director?
- What is your approach to prioritizing your work?
- For those who don’t know, could you fill us in on what a B-corp is and what it stands for?
- Can you tell me about how the company was founded? It is my understanding that the founders have close ties to the ocean.
- What key message do you hope our listeners will take away from this conversation?
About our guest, Maria McDonald:
Maria McDonald is a sustainability professional on a mission to transform business models to prioritize people and the planet alongside profit. Maria comes from a background in helping small and medium-sized businesses achieve innovative sustainability goals.
Maria currently serves as the Director of Sustainability for United By Blue, leading their entire sustainability footprint, from their B Corp certification to their product sustainability, and their one-for-one business model. She has also consulted for businesses of all sizes on cutting-edge sustainability plans through her private consulting practice and with leading sustainability consultancy, the Anthesis Group. She is well versed in sustainable business tactics, such as B Corp certifications, sustainability reporting metrics, product and supply chain management, climate target setting, impact reporting, and sustainability communications.
She holds a Bachelor of Science from Georgetown University and a Master’s in Sustainability Planning and Management from the University of Colorado Boulder. Maria resides in Boulder, CO, and enjoys hiking, camping, and music.
About Retail Corner Podcast:
Host: Carlos Diaz
Producer: Sachin Kumar Bhate
Podcast Sponsor: Proxima360
Listen to other podcasts at: https://retailcorner.live
Subscribe our Podcast: Apple iTunes: https://apple.co/3eoeUdT
Google Podcast: https://bit.ly/3DFHXHw
Amazon Music: https://amzn.to/3tkbhk1
Interested in being on our podcast?
Submit request at: firstname.lastname@example.org